The Cubro Media Converters are complete and versatile solutions for applications such as FTTx, CWDM and carrier Ethernet. All Cubro Media Converters are equipped with LEDs that display the status of each port in real-time, thus allowing users to view the network status easily. Cubro Media Converters provide an easy-to-access management web page, which allows users to view system status, counters and network statistics.
Main Features of Media Converter
- Supports a wide variety of protocols, data rates and media types to create a more reliable and cost-effective network
- Reduces network operating costs by helping to troubleshoot
- Saves time and money when there is not a network administrator at the distant location.
- Tunnel header stripping
- No additional port licensing fees or software feature licensing. All features and applications included in the unit price.
- 2-year base warranty period
Functions & Benefits of Media Converter
- Converts one media type into another media type, the most common use is optical to electrical. The media converter enables fibre to the desktop.
- Provides fibre-to-fibre conversion from multi-mode fibre to single mode fibre
- Enables amplification of poor signals to work over longer distances, this is a useful option especially in multimode fibre networks
- Converts dual fibre to a BiDi system with only one fibre to double the bandwidth of the installation.
- Converts from one CWDM wavelength to another wavelength.
|Media Conversion||You can select the media by changing the SFP. The unique design supports also CWDM / DWDM and BiDi SFP|
|Supported SFP and SFP+||Gbit optical single mode Gbit optical multimode 10 Gbit optical single mode 10 Gbit optical multimode Gbit electrical STM1 – STM 64 optical OTN (OTU1, OTU2, OTU1e, OTU2e) Fibre Channel STM1/OC3 – STM64/OC192. We support any MSA conform SFP & SFP+|
|Full Duplex support||The unit supports full duplex in line speed|
|Zero delay (500 ps = 10 cm cable)||The unit does not add any delay or jitter/wander to the traffic.|
|Layer 1 to Layer 7 transparent||All packets pass the unit without any change.|
|Jumbo Frame Support||Supports jumbo Ethernet frames with any size.|
|Rugged metal housing||The unit is delivered in a rugged sized metal housing. Very slim form factor 100 x 55 x 27 mm.|
|Power Versions||The Media Converter comes with a 5V DC external power supply or can be supplied with a USB adapter. Power consumption depends on the used SFPs and ranges from 500 mA for Gbit up to 1.5 A for 10 G. USB power can only be used with Gbit SFPs.|
- Operating Temperature: 0ºC to 40ºC
- Storage Temperature: -10ºC to 70ºC
- Relative Humidity: 10% min, 95% max, Non-condensing
- Dimensions: 27 mm Heigth x 100 mm Depth x 55 mm Width
- 5V DC external power supply or USB adapter
- Power consumption is SFP dependent
- Typical 500 mA for Gbit up to 1500 mA in 10 Gbit.
- Fully RoHS compliant
- CE compliant
You can select the media by changing the SFP. The unique design supports also CWDM / DWDM and BiDi SFP.
Media Conversion (USB Power)
With this feature, it is easy to connect a standard laptop to a switch with optical interfaces. Because of the low power consumption, it is possible to power the Cubro Media Converter 10 G from the USB port of the laptop.
You can enlarge the transfer range of your media dramatically without risking errors on your data. The examples below show some common options, but a lot more combinations are possible.
Amplification for monitoring
It is very common to use optical splitters to monitor the traffic in a network, but a splitter also reduces the optical power on the active link. Especially in multimode networks with higher bandwidths (10 Gbit), this could cause transmission problems. You can overcome this problem by using a Cubro Media Converter 10 G for amplification.
Wavelength conversion on a DWDM / CWDM System
With the Cubro Media Converter 10 G and a Cubro MUX / DEMUX, you have the possibility to change wavelength in a DWDM / CWDM system. This flexible device is extremely cost-effective.
Monitoring Traffic in a DWDM / CWDM System
With the Cubro Media Converter 10 G and a Cubro MUX / DE¬MUX, you have the possibility to look into a DWDM/ CWDM system and analyze the data.
Layer 1 loop for testing devices
This is not an everyday application, but it shows the flexibility of the Cubro Media Converter 10G. If you only have one tester and you had to test on copper Gbit links, you can use the media converter to make a layer 1 loop.
Asymmetric delay for testing devices
To test applications, it is sometimes useful to simulate asymmetric delay. Asymmetric delay can be done with expensive instruments as well, but if you need just a simple solution, you can use two MeDiCon 10 G and two different fibres in length. In our example, you get an asymmetric delay in the range of 70 μsec. Longer fibres produce longer delay.
|CBR.MEDSFP||Mini Media Converter up to 10 Gbit, SFP(+) to SFP(+)|
|CBR.MEDSFP-KIT||Mini Media Converter up to 10 Gbit, SFP(+) to SFP(+), Set including SFPs (1x GBIT Copper, 1x GBIT SM and 1x GBIT MM)|
Looking for product support?
Get in touch with our technical team now
Our newsletter provides thought leadership content about the industry. It is concise and has interesting content to keep you updated with what’s new at Cubro and in the industry. You can unsubscribe anytime with a single click.